Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
drgrant
Block E

Re: Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby drgrant » April 18th, 2022, 8:42 am

The last one is the worst. The only way to guarantee a slot in a school is to live in its attendance area. How could adding units to the attendance area possibly reduce enrollment opportunities? Utter nonsense.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 18th, 2022, 9:52 am

Rather classist, too. It’s a belief that families cannot live in an apartment, which seems to extend from the related conceit that children raised in single family homes are better.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » April 18th, 2022, 1:08 pm

People who note that a lot of the new developments in Minneapolis are studio – 2 bedrooms, except near the U, are not wrong. And to a large extent it is true that a larger number of smaller units are more profitable.

But ... we're getting redevelopment of this form, rather than infill townhouses on unused lawns because
1) 2040 liberalized re-development on Interior 3 through Corridor 6 parcels much more than it did in Interior 1 and 2.
2) It's not illegal to put another building on most Interior 1-2 properties, but given FAR and setback rules it's economically difficult to build multiple 3+ bedroom units, townhouses, or ADUs in much of Minneapolis.
3) If you follow larch_lab on twitter you'll quickly come to appreciate just how much of a constraint our double egress rules that kick in at 4 stories are on doing narrow and tall developments. Once you have to have the double egress the studio - 2 bedrooms off the corridor style development is the most efficient.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 5th, 2022, 1:22 pm

The decision on the fate of 635 Van Buren St NE got pushed out to May 17th. Rainville seems to be hung up on "Someone made a promise that this neighborhood wouldn't be Corridor 6" and wants to try to take the applicant and a representative of the neighborhood into an offline discussion to find a compromise.

The applicant has gone above and beyond already though, so this seems to be a Hail Mary way to try and get some win for the neighborhood before this legally sound project gets approved.

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » May 8th, 2022, 3:50 pm

Tomorrow's Planning Commission includes a 53 unit development on 13th Street in Sheridan (will wrap around the commercial building home to The Peacock Lounge). They are hoping to demolish two older duplexes and a triplex, consolidate the 4 lots into 2, and have them rezoned.

The development will include a pocket park nestled between the new building at The Peacock as well as ~2000 sqft of retail space facing 13th. The building itself is also fairly attractive! I do have an issue with demolishing affordable units and replacing them with what appear to be upscale market-rate units, so part of me is a bit split on this. Packet below:

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... f%20Report

daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Postby daveybabymsp » May 9th, 2022, 6:50 am

Tomorrow's Planning Commission includes a 53 unit development on 13th Street in Sheridan (will wrap around the commercial building home to The Peacock Lounge). They are hoping to demolish two older duplexes and a triplex, consolidate the 4 lots into 2, and have them rezoned.

The development will include a pocket park nestled between the new building at The Peacock as well as ~2000 sqft of retail space facing 13th. The building itself is also fairly attractive! I do have an issue with demolishing affordable units and replacing them with what appear to be upscale market-rate units, so part of me is a bit split on this. Packet below:

Overall I think it’s a really good addition, love to see more retail on 13th Ave, one of the few places in the city you can walk, shop, and eat without being on a dangerous and unpleasant arterial. Agree that the loss of the the duplexes and the triplex kind of sucks, but I think the retail and public space are such a positive that it’s a good project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » May 9th, 2022, 5:56 pm

This one at 715 Lowry Ave NE is also interesting. 7 units, 3 stories. True missing middle.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 9th, 2022, 7:26 pm

Both of these were approved by the CPC tonight. 715 Lowry on consent, 13th & University after a long session of neighbor complaints and Rainville incoherently trying to block it based on 56 parking spaces adding too much traffic to State Highway 47.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » May 26th, 2022, 1:29 pm

The decision on the fate of 635 Van Buren St NE got pushed out to May 17th. Rainville seems to be hung up on "Someone made a promise that this neighborhood wouldn't be Corridor 6" and wants to try to take the applicant and a representative of the neighborhood into an offline discussion to find a compromise.

The applicant has gone above and beyond already though, so this seems to be a Hail Mary way to try and get some win for the neighborhood before this legally sound project gets approved.
City Council just approved this project 10 - 3, overturning the planning commissions decision. Goodman, Rainville, and Vetaw voted against.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 26th, 2022, 2:04 pm

Common sense prevails
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 26th, 2022, 2:53 pm

I especially liked that Ellison called out Rainville's harping on the old email Fletcher wrote about the land use in the neighborhood as relitigating his election.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » August 15th, 2022, 1:55 pm

New before the Planning Committee CoW this week is a proposal for a six story, 65 unit, 20 car parking space project at 613 Van Buren. Here's the packet.

If that address rings a bell, it's because it's on the same street (and benefitting from the same strip of Corridor 6 built form guidance) as the 635 Van Buren project that was previously rejected by the CPC, before being appealed to and approved by the City Council. This project is larger, but it's also at the triangular corner lot bordering Central. The developer has sort of curiously oriented the building's access towards Van Buren, while orienting its massing towards Central, and staff have a bunch of questions for the CoW that stem from that choice.

Undoubtedly this project will also become a political hot potato for height and density reasons as it moves from concept to approval.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » August 16th, 2022, 7:25 am

Getting so close to my dream redevelopment lots on that stretch of Central. This will be a nice upgrade.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » September 11th, 2022, 5:40 pm

I wonder if it would be hard to remove that little stretch of 3rd Ave NE across the street. Maybe if those buildings are developed the city could sell the land to the developer.

Is it hard to remove streets? I have a handful of these short streets around the city I'd like to see removed.

drgrant
Block E

Postby drgrant » September 22nd, 2022, 2:55 pm

I wonder if it would be hard to remove that little stretch of 3rd Ave NE across the street. Maybe if those buildings are developed the city could sell the land to the developer.

Is it hard to remove streets? I have a handful of these short streets around the city I'd like to see removed.
It can be difficult to fully vacate a street, especially if it carries any traffic at all. Also, who know what's underneath in the ROW. They could probably close off one end of it without much trouble, and make it a nice little cul de sac like at Fillmore & Lowry.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 22nd, 2022, 4:47 pm

Yeah, at this point I don't know that there's much benefit to fully closing it down. It's already a one way heading east, so the whole street could be narrowed, or maybe allow parking on both sides of the street. And the turn off of Central could be throated down a lot.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » September 27th, 2022, 6:21 am

Maybe if someone redevelops the block then the street could be abandoned?

One short street I think could be put to better use now is Nokomis Ln from 57th St to 16th Ave S. Why not build a triples here and have the land be a net positive rather than a useless drag on the city?

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8995679 ... z?hl=en-GB

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » September 29th, 2022, 8:53 am

Able Brewery is closing. Rumor has it that BUCH hard kombucha bought the space.

I'm sad about this one not because of the beer, but that Able had one of the cooler taprooms in the city. Hard kombucha doesn't seem like it will match the vibe that Able built in its taproom.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjBjVwpJH8P/

Also: Animales Burgers also going down with Able.. https://www.instagram.com/p/CjBlWn7plng/

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 3rd, 2022, 11:47 am

Looks like an apartment building proposal for 1516 Marshall St NE (currently a dumpster service, across the street from Fletchers) was proposed at the Sheridan Neighborhood Org meeting last week, according to their minutes.

- 184 units with 184 parking spots
- Some kind of commerical space fronting Marshall
- 65' tall (five stories? 1000 Main is five stories and 61', though it doesn't have a commercial space on the ground floor)
- public sidewalk connection from Marshall to the river trail
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 3rd, 2022, 12:42 pm

I thought the Park Board was buying everything on that side of Marshall :)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.