Transit Crime

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Transit Crime

Postby Didier » January 29th, 2023, 9:43 am

Our leaders — who employ teams of problem-solvers with half-million-dollar advanced educations — are at a complete loss as to how to deal with people breaking the law in plain sight, in government-owned enclosed spaces covered in cameras, which travel on fixed routes at regular times between stations that are also government-owned and covered in cameras. And you're not going to believe this, but the government body that owns both the trains and the stations also happens to have its own police force.
🔥

When I meet people on the street I always tell them how we knew Nick back when he was still just elfangor.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » January 30th, 2023, 1:13 pm

Met Council has announced Ernest Morales III as the new Metro Transit Police Chief.

https://metrocouncil.org/News-Events/Tr ... -2023.aspx

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » March 8th, 2023, 4:22 pm

https://www.startribune.com/make-transi ... 600256980/

Well this is just ridiculous, lol.

Also could an admin rename this thread "Transit Safety & Crime" I feel that would better encompass what is talked about in here.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » March 8th, 2023, 8:05 pm

https://www.startribune.com/make-transi ... 600256980/

Well this is just ridiculous, lol.

Also could an admin rename this thread "Transit Safety & Crime" I feel that would better encompass what is talked about in here.
As soon as I saw who wrote that I clicked out of it.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 9th, 2023, 9:42 am

As soon as I saw who wrote that I clicked out of it.
Magrino again?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 9th, 2023, 10:05 am

lol
Towns!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 9th, 2023, 4:11 pm

Fun fact: I had Bob “Again” Carney, Jr. as a substitute teacher in high school.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

J. Mc
City Center

Postby J. Mc » March 14th, 2023, 1:37 am

Allied Universal to be awarded the contract for supplemental security services. In addition to Franklin Ave and Lake Street/Midtown LRT stations, Brooklyn Center TC, Central Station/VCB, Uptown TC, and Chicago-Lake TC will be covered. Additional locations may be added in the future.

https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... 66-SW.aspx

1 arrested after reported robbery on light rail train;

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/local-news/1 ... ail-train/

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » March 14th, 2023, 11:34 pm

Nothing against Allied Universal but doesn't Metro Transit PD have community service officers? why can't they work security at these locations?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 15th, 2023, 5:49 am

From what I understand the idea is that it's a lower cost way to show presence. There's a likely also an element of temporariness - when MT no longer needs them they can end the contract.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » March 15th, 2023, 11:15 am

From what I understand the idea is that it's a lower cost way to show presence. There's a likely also an element of temporariness - when MT no longer needs them they can end the contract.
Having a security presence definitely makes a difference in my experience.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » March 15th, 2023, 11:55 am

https://www.southwestvoices.news/posts/ ... e-thursday

Allied Universal doesn't seem to have a good track record in patrolling transit. I'm guessing since this is a one year contract (with a second year option). That this is a stop gap until the legislature allows Metro Transit to hire transit ambassadors. Doing nothing isn't an option. And I appreciate that they didn't just default to hiring more cops (that would be a battle to reduce later once transit ambassadors are allowed).

I just wish that they allowed the contract to be broken up into smaller ones to allow more local companies to bid and there were steps for accountability and oversight. The security company that has been assigned to Franklin Ave said they couldn't bid because it was too big of a contract.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 15th, 2023, 2:13 pm

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 16th, 2023, 4:26 pm

My son commutes to the U from Hopkins and transfers at Uptown. His review: “this sucks now because all the people I most want to avoid are now standing around outside with me trying to talk at me and I have nowhere to avoid them”.

UrbanMPLS
Block E

Postby UrbanMPLS » March 16th, 2023, 10:59 pm

Here in Chicago, the CTA is paying $31 million for security on trains. So far, it’s pretty universally regarded as a failure. They usually just sit around chatting or looking at their phones. One time I was riding a train with guards sitting across from me and a man lit up a cigarette. I had to point this out to them, to which they nonchalantly shouted no smoking. There was even a video recently of a guard smoking on a platform. It’s pretty clear that the guards either cannot or do not want to do much and the wrongdoers know this. Hopefully it goes better in Minneapolis, but I wouldn’t expect much to change.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » March 17th, 2023, 9:48 am

Here in Chicago, the CTA is paying $31 million for security on trains. So far, it’s pretty universally regarded as a failure. They usually just sit around chatting or looking at their phones. One time I was riding a train with guards sitting across from me and a man lit up a cigarette. I had to point this out to them, to which they nonchalantly shouted no smoking. There was even a video recently of a guard smoking on a platform. It’s pretty clear that the guards either cannot or do not want to do much and the wrongdoers know this. Hopefully it goes better in Minneapolis, but I wouldn’t expect much to change.
For the record the MetCouncil's contract is $3 million a year for one year, with a second year option depending on how the pilot program works.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 20th, 2023, 6:45 am

LA’s transit trains have also dropped ridership in huge numbers due to open drug use. https://news.yahoo.com/l-riders-bail-me ... 07450.html

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 20th, 2023, 9:50 am

Hard to be shocked lately but that story was wild—22 people dead on just the LA Metro since the beginning of the year following the effective legalization of fentanyl by people who got a 33 on the ACT. “We should try public art.” Thanks, Hilda!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 20th, 2023, 9:58 am

They even seem to be already employing the kinds of helpers we want to start using.

Maybe there is going to be a substantive difference in scope or duties. But it was depressing.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 20th, 2023, 10:06 am

"There's so many 'sleepers,' " the train driver said. "Nobody notices that the guy quit breathing until they're blue. And then by that time, it's too late."