South Nicollet-Lyndale-Kingfield-Tangletown-Windom

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Re: South Nicollet-Lyndale-Kingfield-Tangletown-Windom

Postby Mdcastle » September 29th, 2021, 4:32 pm

I doubt Family Dollar and O'Reilly Auto Parts would be able to afford a lease at rates that would be able to make the landlord money even if ground floor retail were built there.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 30th, 2021, 9:50 am

And they both would demand much larger parking lots than anybody here would be comfortable with.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 30th, 2021, 10:46 am

No where did I suggest those would be the tenants, but yes, you are right.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 30th, 2021, 1:42 pm

lol. pretty sure he's making an implication about the kind of retail he thinks this area can support.
which is just... lol
Towns!

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » September 30th, 2021, 6:29 pm

I would have thought someone would have pointed out that the business occupying the space before were pretty busy and well used by the neighborhood and we aren't getting anything to replace either.
So apparently there's high demand for a Family Dollar and O'Reilly Auto Parts in the neighborhood if they were "pretty busy and well used by the neighborhood" Or maybe not because they closed. Or maybe so because they only closed because the landlord kicked them out.

I'm sure if a bunch of cute locally owned coffee shops and brew-pubs and co-op grocery stores or whatever we consider worthy for the neighborhood were banging on the developers door pleading to be allowed to lease space at rate would make the developer money, there'd be proposal that included ground floor retail. But it would seem already too much retail in the neighborhood because even at discount rates:
The existing building on the northwest corner is clearly underutilized as far as retail goes. If there was demand by better retail users, they’d promptly replace the temp staffing office, insurance, and/or chiropractor with a restaurant that would pay higher rent.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » October 1st, 2021, 10:12 am

I would have thought someone would have pointed out that the business occupying the space before were pretty busy and well used by the neighborhood and we aren't getting anything to replace either.
So apparently there's high demand for a Family Dollar and O'Reilly Auto Parts in the neighborhood if they were "pretty busy and well used by the neighborhood" Or maybe not because they closed. Or maybe so because they only closed because the landlord kicked them out.

I'm sure if a bunch of cute locally owned coffee shops and brew-pubs and co-op grocery stores or whatever we consider worthy for the neighborhood were banging on the developers door pleading to be allowed to lease space at rate would make the developer money, there'd be proposal that included ground floor retail. But it would seem already too much retail in the neighborhood because even at discount rates:
The existing building on the northwest corner is clearly underutilized as far as retail goes. If there was demand by better retail users, they’d promptly replace the temp staffing office, insurance, and/or chiropractor with a restaurant that would pay higher rent.
I know that you don't live in this area and would never come here willingly, but I do, and I like having a variety of businesses up and down Nicollet Avenue. I don't need a chiropractor, or a temp staffing office, but I'm glad they are there. We already have a number of great restaurants, and there is in fact a co-op grocery not far away, so I don't think another one would be a good idea. As far as retail demand, almost all of the spaces in the area are full. I can only think of a few between Lake street and 40th.

I had been to the family dollar, but generally shopped elsewhere. It wasn't my style. There's still one due north and another due south along the 18 Bus route.

I shopped at O'Reilly's when necessary and enjoyed being able to walk to an auto parts store, but there others in the area. There's a Napa less than half a mile due west.

Do I wish that criminal elements hadn't abused the presence of righteous protests to burn auto supply stores and gas stations to the ground all over the city? Yes. Do I understand that there is more demand for new housing than there is for suburban-style single-story retail in my neighborhood? Also Yes. Do I also understand that ANY new construction will always have higher retail rents than older buildings? Definitely yes.

The building owner didn't kick out the old tenants. The building burned to the ground. Even if they had re-built the old building exactly how it was, the rents would have gone up and the old businesses might not have moved back.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » October 1st, 2021, 10:23 am

3536 is coming back before the neighborhood(s) on October 20th. I couldn't make the first meeting but based on tweets from the developer he wanted to incorporate some feedback on design/materials.

I personally think this is over-parked and would like to see the ability to incorporate retail down the line. But that's my armchair quarterback take.

As an aside, the auto parts and dollar store were well used by the neighborhood and people coming in on buses. Even with another dollar store 4 blocks up there was enough traffic to support both. I'm glad to see better urban form and housing take place here regardless but reasonably believe retail could do well here.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » October 1st, 2021, 12:32 pm

3536 is coming back before the neighborhood(s) on October 20th. I couldn't make the first meeting but based on tweets from the developer he wanted to incorporate some feedback on design/materials.

I personally think this is over-parked and would like to see the ability to incorporate retail down the line. But that's my armchair quarterback take.

As an aside, the auto parts and dollar store were well used by the neighborhood and people coming in on buses. Even with another dollar store 4 blocks up there was enough traffic to support both. I'm glad to see better urban form and housing take place here regardless but reasonably believe retail could do well here.
I'll be attending for sure. I live nearby and am generally excited by the proposal because the developer does good work, but was really hoping for at least 1 retail bay. But it's not my money and I'm hopeful that more retail will come along Nicollet - there will be something at 3601 Nicollet and there's so many other potential opportunities nearby.

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » October 23rd, 2021, 10:39 am

33rd and Nicollet has started construction while I wasn't paying attention. Good number of mid-size buildings going up south of the Kmart.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » January 4th, 2022, 8:43 am

The Planning Commission approved 3536 Nicollet last night on consent, without presentation from staff or any discussion. Nice to see that. Construction is expected to begin in the spring.

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... llet%20Ave

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » January 10th, 2022, 8:14 am

Per the planning dashboard, the vacant Burger King restaurants at 3342 Nicollet and 818 W Broadway are both seeking "a certificate of nonconforming use to the rebut the presumption of abandonment of a nonconforming fast food restaurant and drive through facility." Not sure why the owners/users didn't reopen before losing their rights (again), but alas ... the saga continues.

https://www.minneapolismn.gov/governmen ... dashboard/

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 10th, 2022, 12:14 pm

Per the planning dashboard, the vacant Burger King restaurants at 3342 Nicollet and 818 W Broadway are both seeking "a certificate of nonconforming use to the rebut the presumption of abandonment of a nonconforming fast food restaurant and drive through facility." Not sure why the owners/users didn't reopen before losing their rights (again), but alas ... the saga continues.

This recent? I think this came up awhile ago. I thought they got the green light? The W. Broadway one is a disaster, I would love to see some investment there.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » January 10th, 2022, 12:18 pm

Fencing went up around the Nicollet one a few months ago now. I've seen some contractors go in and out but no actual construction or consistent activity.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » January 10th, 2022, 1:03 pm

With how precious drive-thrus rights are now, you'd think any number of other fast-food or fast-casual places would be making them offers if they apparently aren't that enthusiastic about reopening the Burger Kings.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » January 10th, 2022, 3:48 pm

This recent? I think this came up awhile ago. I thought they got the green light? The W. Broadway one is a disaster, I would love to see some investment there.
It is recent. It came up before late in 2019/early 2020. The BOA denied the request back then, but the zoning and planning committee reversed. There was a lawsuit about that (*ahem - it was my lawsuit*), but it got resolved in October 2020 (the zoning and planning decision was upheld). So we are now looking at basically the same issue: the nonconforming use was abandoned through nonuse, and now the applicant is seeking to "rebut abandonment", which requires clear and convincing evidence that the reason for nonuse was beyond their control.

Last time around, BK argued that because there were fixtures left behind from the prior franchisee, who was in bankruptcy, they were prevented from reopening. This time around, I don't know what the excuse would be. BK had approvals to remodel/rebuild both locations over the summer but never paid fees or started construction. Seems like a giant error on BK's part ... I think they thought they could take as long as they wanted to reopen, but that's not how it works.

apmagetatto
Block E

Postby apmagetatto » January 21st, 2022, 10:52 am

The below link from Twitter user @wyseapple contains background info and instructions re how to provide the city feedback on Burger King's efforts to "rebut abandonment" of its restaurant at Nicollet and 34th. I sent an email to the city employee identified in the link and received confirmation that my comments would be provided to the board members.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W5u ... obilebasic

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » April 12th, 2022, 12:32 pm

3536 Nicollet to imminently break ground. Excavation, footings, precast through September 2022, stick framing September 2022-February 2023, expected completion Fall 2023

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » April 21st, 2022, 11:13 am

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » June 1st, 2022, 9:12 am

Tiny infill project being proposed at 3400 Nicollet (the tiny lot next to the ramen building). Details from a Lyndale neighborhood group email that was sent this morning:

"The proposed development is a two story, mixed used building at 3400 Nicollet Avenue, on the SW corner of 34th Street and Nicollet Avenue. It is proposed that a sit-down restaurant will occupy the first floor, and then 2 dwelling units will occupy the second floor. "

Sabri purchased 3400 Nicollet last summer. Nice to see this type of investment being made.

daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Postby daveybabymsp » June 1st, 2022, 10:34 am

Tiny infill project being proposed at 3400 Nicollet (the tiny lot next to the ramen building). Details from a Lyndale neighborhood group email that was sent this morning:

"The proposed development is a two story, mixed used building at 3400 Nicollet Avenue, on the SW corner of 34th Street and Nicollet Avenue. It is proposed that a sit-down restaurant will occupy the first floor, and then 2 dwelling units will occupy the second floor. "

Sabri purchased 3400 Nicollet last summer. Nice to see this type of investment being made.
This seems like something that would have been built during the streetcar era. Makes me happy to see it legalized and encouraged again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk