Super Talls

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
John
Capella Tower

Re: Super Talls

Postby John » May 4th, 2013, 9:43 pm

Miami is having a boom in high rise condo development, which is remarkable given the crash of 5 years ago. This 60 story beauty is designed by Carlos Ott. Maybe someone can revive a similar design of the ill fated "The Nicollet" project in our downtown?

MS3

Postby MS3 » May 4th, 2013, 10:52 pm

I expect something similar to the Nicollet to eventually arise here. That same developer perhaps?

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » May 6th, 2013, 8:47 am

Here's the disconnect -- some people want a better city to live in and some people want a better-looking city to view from a distance.

I appreciate the skyline as much as anyone. But the skyline is incidental to the way the city is built, It is not the purpose of building the city.
Very aptly said. Want a better city or one that looks pretty from afar? Obviously we are shooting for both but sometimes you have to prioritize.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 6th, 2013, 8:59 am

I was reading JHK's Long Emergency while spending the weekend in Oklahoma City. One of the points he discusses is that the concept of the skyscraper is not necessarily viable after human being's season with fossil fuels winds down.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 6th, 2013, 9:21 am

Humans have always had an interest in building towards the sky (i.e the Egyptian pyramids, Mayan ruins, etc). I strongly doubt that archetypal desire will go away with the end of the fossil fuel era.
Last edited by John on May 6th, 2013, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 6th, 2013, 9:40 am

I was reading JHK's Long Emergency while spending the weekend in Oklahoma City. One of the points he discusses is that the concept of the skyscraper is not necessarily viable after human being's season with fossil fuels winds down.
If we move to a completely agrarian economy with no electricity then yes, anything taller than a couple of stories will likely be too much. But I don't think we're going to find ourselves in that situation ever. We have 200 years of coal alone, so we can make dirty electricity for a long time. We'll hit peak oil and need to reexamine our built form, but I think in a situation with cheap electricity and expensive oil, the elevator will still be a hit.

Also, in that book James Howard Kunstler predicts massive population loss due to starvation and mass panic. I'm sure it's an interesting story, but I just have a hard time really believing him.

I'd much rather listen to his criticism of the suburban built form, because he's really good at that.

I assume we've all seen his TED talk? We should watch his TED talk.

Aaaand, back on topic.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » May 6th, 2013, 10:42 am

Miami is having a boom in high rise condo development, which is remarkable given the crash of 5 years ago. This 60 story beauty is designed by Carlos Ott. Maybe someone can revive a similar design of the ill fated "The Nicollet" project in our downtown?
I've got to imagine in a hurricane that thing is going to sway like a palm tree.

MS3

Postby MS3 » May 6th, 2013, 9:38 pm

That looks like a good design for our convention center hotel

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 6th, 2013, 9:54 pm

That looks like a good design for our convention center hotel
Yes!

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » May 10th, 2013, 2:16 am

Target is leasing most of the 50 story Multifoods/City Center tower and they still hiring and filling that structure up. The Brooklyn Center campus is something that Bob Ulrich was really into (though not at the expense of DT Mpls) but market factors have changed and Gregg Steinhaffel the new CEO is not so interested in dispersing Target headquarters. They will need a new tower sooner than they publicly say.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » May 10th, 2013, 2:17 am

Target is leasing most of the 50 story Multifoods/City Center tower and they still hiring and filling that structure up. The Brooklyn Center campus is something that Bob Ulrich was really into (though not at the expense of DT Mpls) but market factors have changed and Gregg Steinhaffel the new CEO is not so interested in dispersing Target headquarters. They will need a new tower sooner than they publicly say.

MS3

Postby MS3 » May 10th, 2013, 5:36 pm

I think Target wants the tallest building in Minneapolis. They want to surpass the IDS in height and hold that position. Most of this is speculation, but Target would get little or no resistance from Downtown Mpls building taller than the IDS, verses anyone else. They could break the IDS curse easily, where as others have fallen short (by a foot or so). My guess is 75 stories at 900-1000 ft. This buding is long overdue for Minneapolis, and would have an amazing effect and impact on The Minneapolis skyline. And Targets name will be on it. Huge plus for Target, Its employees and Minneapolis.

Dalgar
Block E

Postby Dalgar » May 14th, 2013, 3:08 pm

I can't help but picture a Target Tower being bullseye shaped for the Google Maps generation. http://goo.gl/maps/8bHwl

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 18th, 2013, 9:23 am

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » September 18th, 2013, 10:24 am

I realize this is tangential to the real issues of glamour and glitz, but are these 1,000+ foot toothpicks structurally stable? 107 W. 57th will be 1,250 feet tall and 40 ft wide.

MS3

Postby MS3 » September 20th, 2013, 5:20 pm

40' feet wide at 1350ft tall? That would be like a 6-6, 50lb man. Depending on the weight of the structure and 100 other things, I've come to the common sense solid conclusion that this tower will almost triple it's width if it gets build. New York is no exception for defying strict building codes. My guess is the architect is looking for publicity.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » September 23rd, 2013, 8:50 am

I realize this is tangential to the real issues of glamour and glitz, but are these 1,000+ foot toothpicks structurally stable? 107 W. 57th will be 1,250 feet tall and 40 ft wide.
Are you talking about One57? The tall condo skyscraper catching record breaking unit prices? A lot more than 40ft wide.

http://www.manhattanscout.com/building/one57

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » September 23rd, 2013, 8:53 am

Nevermind. I see you are referring to the "Stairway To Heaven" condo tower that will be 42 feet wide. That probably wont start construction for a few years, if at all.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 27th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Milwaukee is getting a sleek new 550 foot 32 story office tower designed by the architectural firm Pickard Chilton. Beautiful addition to their city. C'mon Minneapolis!

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » September 27th, 2013, 11:03 pm

I would be fine with something on the scales of 350 North Fifth (a 20 story office near Target Field would really look cool from the stadium, plus the commuter rail station could be integrated with the basement levels of the structure) and/or 1010 Nicollet getting built. They could always make it mixed use, then you can work and live in the same building. Mixed-use or another F500 moving downtown is the only way I see a building taller than 500 feet getting built within the next 10 years.