Nicollet Ave / Eat Street - Whittier, Stevens, Loring Park

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Re: Nicollet Ave / Eat Street - Whittier, Stevens, Loring Park

Postby daveybabymsp » April 8th, 2022, 4:31 pm

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... %20Ave%20S

On the Planning Commission agenda for Monday the 11th: 12 unit, 3 story building a block south of MCAD right next to the Flamingo House. It replaces a duplex that was previously demolished on this site.

Note: the balconies, handrails, and bike racks will be pink to match the local landmark next door.

I like the design here! Sleek, but gives a nod to Whittier's artistic feel. Let's hope this standard of development continues.
Projects like this are my favorite result of the parking minimum removal. There’s a similar building going up near me on the 32nd block of Bryant Ave S. I hope we see more and more buildings like this one popping up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » April 9th, 2022, 1:22 pm

Kind of a weird nod to mansard on the sides and a very bland, sterile front facing facade. It looks quite profitable.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 10th, 2022, 10:03 am

It looks great.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » April 13th, 2022, 9:21 am

Yeah, if I could copy and paste this basic model on every interior lot in the city, I would.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 7th, 2022, 10:32 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » June 23rd, 2022, 11:20 am

More or less, Eat Street-adjacent, since this is over on 26th and Blaisedell.

https://twitter.com/nickmagrino/status/ ... 5987193856

Replacing two tiny commercial buildings and parking lots.
I expected more posts about this saga, maybe in a different thread? I couldn't find it.

The project quoted above was approved, but then neighbors sued and won. The approvals were revoked and the land was sold. The new developer is now coming to the CPC with two different projects on two of the three lots that made up the original proposal (the corner lot, a shabby professional building, is remaining for now).

The first building (2542 Blaisdell) would have 27 units and 15 car parking spaces and a classical brick design. The second building (110 W 26th St) would have 15 units and 9 car parking spaces and a more contemporary design. Both projects will have one long-term bike parking space per unit.

They're two nice, understated infill buildings. But the overall arc of this site is a big win for NIMBYs, who have achieved a huge reduction in housing from the 146 units originally proposed.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 23rd, 2022, 12:01 pm

That lawsuit seemed like something that could have gotten a bit more attention.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » June 23rd, 2022, 2:40 pm

I did not hear about the lawsuit. It is a shame that the denser 6-story building was defeated at this location. That being said, these are two thoughtful developments that fit well into the urban fabric. I'm also pleasantly surprised by their designs-- these have much more of a "point of view" than most new developments have.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » June 26th, 2022, 3:40 am

That block of Blaisedell is filled with 3, 4 and I think 5 story apartment buildings. Couldn't they have fought to keep the 6 story building? Or are these court battles not worth the time?

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » June 28th, 2022, 12:17 pm

The project quoted above was approved, but then neighbors sued and won. The approvals were revoked and the land was sold. The new developer is now coming to the CPC with two different projects on two of the three lots that made up the original proposal (the corner lot, a shabby professional building, is remaining for now).
What were the grounds for the lawsuit?

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » June 29th, 2022, 7:20 am

What were the grounds for the lawsuit?
It was a garden variety lawsuit challenging the grant of variances, focusing on whether the city had legally sufficient findings (i.e., were there "practical difficulties" to support a variance). The district court upheld the City's decision, but it got reversed on appeal.

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » July 15th, 2022, 3:03 pm

https://tcbmag.com/two-eat-street-resta ... ic-grants/

Not sure if anybody saw this, but Rainbow Chinese and Black Forest Inn both received $40,000 from the Backing Historic Small Restaurants fund (joint partnership of Amex and National Trust for Historic Preservation), and they both plan cosmetic upgrades.

Black Forest Inn's restoration seems more major: they plan to add five windows facing Nicollet, commission a mural and repair the stucco. I am excited about these changes-- the current building does look a little dated and run down. I've been twice and always enjoyed it (although it hasn't been exactly hopping either time), so I hope these upgrades allow it to thrive well into the future!

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » April 20th, 2023, 8:54 am

The remodeled McDonald's at Nicollet & 24th eliminated the dining room (not sure how the City allowed that) so I can't really blame this City employee for using the drive thru, but there is some funny irony seeing a City of Minneapolis vehicle using a drive thru...

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » April 20th, 2023, 9:56 am

Is there some sort of city ordinance or zoning district thing here that requires in-person dining that I'm not aware of?

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » April 20th, 2023, 10:00 am

Is there some sort of city ordinance or zoning district thing here that requires in-person dining that I'm not aware of?
If the goal of the City is to discourage drive thru's, you would think that while reviewing the building permit they would be required to maintain their dining room access versus eliminating it. A condition of approval for the application.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » April 20th, 2023, 10:19 am

Denying a building permit for something that is allowed by zoning is a good way for the city to be sued.

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » April 20th, 2023, 10:29 am

Denying a building permit for something that is allowed by zoning is a good way for the city to be sued.
It just seems like a great loophole being used by these restaurants to completely circumvent the goals of the City.

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Postby pannierpacker » April 20th, 2023, 11:58 am

If the goal of the City is to discourage drive thru's, you would think that while reviewing the building permit they would be required to maintain their dining room access versus eliminating it. A condition of approval for the application.
Or they could do what is happening on the eastside of Saint Paul and just close off their dining rooms indefinitely. The 2 fast food chains on Maryland Ave still haven't reopened these since 2020.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 20th, 2023, 1:07 pm

I haven't been in there since the remodeling wrapped, but the building footprint didn't change, so the dining room is still there, right? They're just not using it? (Which they have been doing since Covid hit, I'm pretty certain.)

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » April 20th, 2023, 1:35 pm

I haven't been in there since the remodeling wrapped, but the building footprint didn't change, so the dining room is still there, right? They're just not using it? (Which they have been doing since Covid hit, I'm pretty certain.)
No, when you walk into the lobby there are two ordering kiosks, a mobile order pickup window and a single POS register. Any dining room space is behind a permanent wood wall and keypad entry door. There are no public tables in eyesight anywhere.