Target Field Station

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Target Field Station

Postby Bakken2016 » January 6th, 2023, 3:59 pm

https://www.startribune.com/hennepin-co ... 600143207/

So since early this Fall, Hennepin County has been installing security upgrades at Target Field Station, specifically the parking ramp. Mainly due to vandalism and nuisance issues.

I noticed today they had installed a bunch of readers to access the elevator vestibules that traverse between the lower levels of the station and the platform.
Image.jpeg
My worry is they are going to close off the elevators to transit passengers, and you can only access them if you are paid parker or staying at the Element Hotel. I can understand locking the vestibules at night when train service is not running, but all the time would be insane.

I have reached out to Hennepin County to find out an answer, and I'm hoping that my assumptions are wrong.

Silophant

Re: Target Field Station

Postby Silophant » January 6th, 2023, 4:16 pm

Would that even be legal? Seems like it those elevators would be just as much of an ADA requirement as the elevators at West Bank or Franklin Stations.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 6th, 2023, 4:26 pm

Would that even be legal? Seems like it those elevators would be just as much of an ADA requirement as the elevators at West Bank or Franklin Stations.
My thought process goes directly to them saying "Well the station has ramp access", which honestly is a steep hill and for many disabled individuals can be difficult.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 7th, 2023, 3:00 pm

Well I guess I was right, this is utter nonsense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 7th, 2023, 6:39 pm

Time to find a sympathetic lawyer to file a complaint.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » January 8th, 2023, 5:15 pm

I mean, there is a security intercom.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 9th, 2023, 9:19 am

I mean, there is a security intercom.
So why should someone who is disabled have to request access every time they need to access Target Field Station, this is truly making transit riders a second class citizen.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 10th, 2023, 6:54 pm

So here it is activated, but at 6:45pm the doors were still accessible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 11th, 2023, 4:00 pm

Alright after reaching out to Irene Fernando's office, she is my commissioner and represents the area as well.

The security intercom will be manned 24/7 to provide access to those who need to use the elevator up to the station. They are going to redo the signage based on my feedback to make that more clear. They will make sure the intercom attendants are properly trained to recognize that not all disabilities are physical.

In the end I feel good about reaching out, and making a slight positive difference in the signage.

Apollo
Block E

Postby Apollo » January 11th, 2023, 5:55 pm

They will make sure the intercom attendants are properly trained to recognize that not all disabilities are physical.
And for Deaf people as well I hope? Thanks for advocating for people with disabilities.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 12th, 2023, 8:06 am

They will make sure the intercom attendants are properly trained to recognize that not all disabilities are physical.
And for Deaf people as well I hope? Thanks for advocating for people with disabilities.
I would hope so! The attendants will be able to see the person requesting access I was told, and was told that everyone would be allowed access if requested.

Apollo
Block E

Postby Apollo » January 12th, 2023, 10:43 am

I would hope so! The attendants will be able to see the person requesting access I was told, and was told that everyone would be allowed access if requested.
From the picture, I don't see any cameras on the security podium so unsure how they would be able to do that, plus my comment was more directed toward of, how do you communicate with a deaf person through a intercom? Or how does a deaf person who needs to use the elevator communicate their request through a intercom. :lol:

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 12th, 2023, 1:35 pm

From the picture, I don't see any cameras on the security podium so unsure how they would be able to do that, plus my comment was more directed toward of, how do you communicate with a deaf person through a intercom? Or how does a deaf person who needs to use the elevator communicate their request through a intercom. :lol:
They installed a camera above the door area, and I get that all fair points.