UrbanMSP in the News

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Didier
Capella Tower

UrbanMSP in the News

Postby Didier » February 9th, 2023, 11:02 pm

I thought about making this thread a while back after seeing our guy Grant quoted in an article, then again a few weeks ago when Nick was in a Curious Minnesota. Now I stumbled upon this article below.

So, here we go: a thread to keep track of UrbanMSP posters in the news.
Web site forum keeping tabs on Twin Cities development
By Sam Black – Staff Writer
Aug 13, 2006 Updated Aug 10, 2006, 3:21pm CDT

Self-described "development nerds" in Minneapolis have a new online forum where they can debate the design merits of the latest condo/hotel project or whether The Nicollet condo tower will ever get built.

Matt Bappe, a 37-year-old process improvement analyst at Ameriprise Financial Inc. in Minneapolis, started the site, called Minnescraper.com, as a hobby in January.

The site features an ongoing discussion forum that has grown to 140 registered users who contribute about 1,000 postings per month.

Bappe said he used to be a member of Twincityscape.com, a similar online discussion forum that started in 2000 and ran until 2005, when technical problems forced it to shut down.

In January, Bappe saw an active Minneapolis discussion on a national bulletin board site (BBS) called www.skyscraperpage.com and he decided to start his own.

"I've been interested in development in Minneapolis since I moved here in 1982," Bappe said. "I was the kid that goes downtown on the bus and takes pictures and looks up articles at the library."

That was before the Internet. Now, he takes photos and reads stories and posts them online.

To help set up the site and keep it looking fresh, Bappe recruited his wife Cathy, who is a software designer.

Like Bappe, most of the site's diverse group of members are not in any field related to development, planning, construction or architecture. There may be some active industry professionals that post comments, but it's difficult to tell since users aren't required to disclose their real identities.

The site features discussions about transportation, outstate Minnesota, St. Paul and suburban Twin Cities development, and several threads on development in Minneapolis.

Nick Magrino, who goes by the screen name Elfangor, is really a 15-year-old high-school junior in Fredericksburg, Va., who used to live in St. Louis Park.

He said he's keenly interested in The Nicollet condo project in downtown Minneapolis and development along light rail transit lines in the Twin Cities. He expects he'll move back one day.

"I'm a skyscraper buff and I like to know the inside scoop on the local projects. The site has an amazing amount of information and pictures," he said.

Ryan Balbach, a 31-year-old commercial sales manager for Best Buy Co. Inc. who goes by the nickname HiawathaGuy on the site, uses the forum to follow development of projects like The Ivy Hotel + Residences and The Nicollet in downtown Minneapolis, and the area around the future Twins stadium.

He also is an active contributor to the forums, with 478 posts since February, often including news published in various media outlets and his opinions about various projects.

"I post on Minnescraper to appease the appetites of others like me," Ballbach said.

Bappe said he doesn't plan to make money with the site, but he'd like to cover his expenses. He shelled out the $350 to get server access for two years and he's spent "hours and hours" of his own time. He may sell some T-shirts with the site's logo as a fund-raiser.
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... tory9.html

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Re: UrbanMSP in the News

Postby Tiller » February 10th, 2023, 12:02 am

Nick Magrino, who goes by the screen name Elfangor, is really a 15-year-old high-school junior in Fredericksburg, Va., who used to live in St. Louis Park.
2023-2006 = 17

15 + 17 = 32

Damn, Nick's been here over half his life :P

Funnily enough, I stumbled across this form at like the same age :lol:

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » February 10th, 2023, 10:21 am

I thought about making this thread a while back after seeing our guy Grant quoted in an article, then again a few weeks ago when Nick was in a Curious Minnesota. Now I stumbled upon this article below.

So, here we go: a thread to keep track of UrbanMSP posters in the news.
Web site forum keeping tabs on Twin Cities development
By Sam Black – Staff Writer
Aug 13, 2006 Updated Aug 10, 2006, 3:21pm CDT

Self-described "development nerds" in Minneapolis have a new online forum where they can debate the design merits of the latest condo/hotel project or whether The Nicollet condo tower will ever get built.

Matt Bappe, a 37-year-old process improvement analyst at Ameriprise Financial Inc. in Minneapolis, started the site, called Minnescraper.com, as a hobby in January.

The site features an ongoing discussion forum that has grown to 140 registered users who contribute about 1,000 postings per month.

Bappe said he used to be a member of Twincityscape.com, a similar online discussion forum that started in 2000 and ran until 2005, when technical problems forced it to shut down.

In January, Bappe saw an active Minneapolis discussion on a national bulletin board site (BBS) called www.skyscraperpage.com and he decided to start his own.

"I've been interested in development in Minneapolis since I moved here in 1982," Bappe said. "I was the kid that goes downtown on the bus and takes pictures and looks up articles at the library."

That was before the Internet. Now, he takes photos and reads stories and posts them online.

To help set up the site and keep it looking fresh, Bappe recruited his wife Cathy, who is a software designer.

Like Bappe, most of the site's diverse group of members are not in any field related to development, planning, construction or architecture. There may be some active industry professionals that post comments, but it's difficult to tell since users aren't required to disclose their real identities.

The site features discussions about transportation, outstate Minnesota, St. Paul and suburban Twin Cities development, and several threads on development in Minneapolis.

He said he's keenly interested in The Nicollet condo project in downtown Minneapolis and development along light rail transit lines in the Twin Cities. He expects he'll move back one day.

"I'm a skyscraper buff and I like to know the inside scoop on the local projects. The site has an amazing amount of information and pictures," he said.

Ryan Balbach, a 31-year-old commercial sales manager for Best Buy Co. Inc. who goes by the nickname HiawathaGuy on the site, uses the forum to follow development of projects like The Ivy Hotel + Residences and The Nicollet in downtown Minneapolis, and the area around the future Twins stadium.

He also is an active contributor to the forums, with 478 posts since February, often including news published in various media outlets and his opinions about various projects.

"I post on Minnescraper to appease the appetites of others like me," Ballbach said.

Bappe said he doesn't plan to make money with the site, but he'd like to cover his expenses. He shelled out the $350 to get server access for two years and he's spent "hours and hours" of his own time. He may sell some T-shirts with the site's logo as a fund-raiser.
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... tory9.html
Anyone have a link to the forum, i tried that url and it said the domain is for sale

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 10th, 2023, 10:51 am

Minnescraper? My understanding is that Nick set UrbanMSP up as a replacement when that went down permanently, but I found my way here a couple months later, so I don't know.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 10th, 2023, 11:01 am

Here's the old archived forum- not sure who hosts this. Used to be able to login, but get lots of 404s now. archive/Minnescraper%205_31_12/minnescr ... b7c2887501
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 10th, 2023, 11:10 am

Wow, crazy to be able to view the old Minnescraper forums. I found it in middle school after I moved to the suburbs - really helped to keep tabs on everything that was going on. Although there was one point where the only thing under construction was the Dinkydome redevelopment.
Last edited by Tcmetro on February 10th, 2023, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 10th, 2023, 11:27 am

I have also been here 17 years :o
srr.JPG

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 10th, 2023, 11:31 am

I seem to remember there was a hosting limit and they had to delete a bunch of files to keep the site up, and the original person managing that disappeared (DC?). Good time good times

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » February 10th, 2023, 11:53 am

Here's the old archived forum- not sure who hosts this. Used to be able to login, but get lots of 404s now. archive/Minnescraper%205_31_12/minnescr ... b7c2887501
LOL, i didn't notice at first that the article was from 2006.

I've been here for 6 years.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 10th, 2023, 12:39 pm

Literally the same person, years apart.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 11th, 2023, 1:42 pm

Which reminds me: does anyone want the forum? I believe I got billed for it again last month.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 9th, 2024, 1:19 pm

Which reminds me: does anyone want the forum? I believe I got billed for it again last month.
:ugeek: