Northstar Commuter Rail

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Northstar Commuter Rail

Postby DanPatchToget » April 26th, 2022, 9:03 am

I don't know if dedicated tracks would be necessary, but yes there needs to be more track capacity to allow an increase in frequency.

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » April 27th, 2022, 11:42 pm

They double tracked big lake to becker several years ago, which might be partly why it doesn't go to St. Cloud

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 28th, 2022, 2:59 pm

The plan is to add a third main from Coon Creek Jct (where the main to Superior cuts off) to Northtown Yard. If shovel-ready NLX gets funded, it will take care of that. Widening/rebuilding the Hwy 610 underpass is likely required, but that fits in with a potential NLX/Northstar Station at the Foley Blvd park and ride.

Further into Minneapolis, there are some minor chokepoints such as possibly double tracking the turnoff at Mpls Jct and adjusting the siding across Nicollet Island into a true second main from the passenger terminal lead to the Mpls Jct split at Harrison St.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » April 30th, 2022, 11:54 pm

Roads are expensive? We tend to spend $3 Billion a year on roads. Google tells me there's an average of 3.38 trips per person per day taken by Minnesotans, so multiply that by 365 and multiply that by the states population, you get 6 billion trips in Minnesota per year, for a spending of 50 cents a trip. Then subtract out the 1/3rd or so paid for by user taxes and figure that some level or roads need to exist even if no one owns a car; to get artichokes to the grocery store and bicycles to the local bicycle shop to find the subsidy amount.
Minneapolis has about 40 feet of road per resident. Aitkin county has about 1,199 feet of road per resident.

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » May 1st, 2022, 12:37 am

The plan is to add a third main from Coon Creek Jct (where the main to Superior cuts off) to Northtown Yard. If shovel-ready NLX gets funded, it will take care of that. Widening/rebuilding the Hwy 610 underpass is likely required, but that fits in with a potential NLX/Northstar Station at the Foley Blvd park and ride.

Further into Minneapolis, there are some minor chokepoints such as possibly double tracking the turnoff at Mpls Jct and adjusting the siding across Nicollet Island into a true second main from the passenger terminal lead to the Mpls Jct split at Harrison St.
The MPLS Jct area has been rumored to get double tracked for a while. Can they double track the line from Mpls Jct to the terminal leads without the neighbors freaking out or too many environmental issues?

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » May 1st, 2022, 7:17 am

The MPLS Jct area has been rumored to get double tracked for a while. Can they double track the line from Mpls Jct to the terminal leads without the neighbors freaking out or too many environmental issues?
I would think so since it used to be a double-track mainline, and some of the second track is still there.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » September 14th, 2022, 10:24 am

Northstar service might be suspended beginning September 16th due to the railroad workers strike. Several Amtrak routes including the Empire Builder have already been suspended.

Metro Transit will provide replacement bus service if commuter rail is suspended.

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » September 14th, 2022, 6:19 pm

Anyone want to put money on the replacement bus service lasting longer than the strike if it happens.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » September 14th, 2022, 6:48 pm

Then we would have to return some money (I forget how much, all I know it's in the millions) to the Feds.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » September 15th, 2022, 7:53 am

Strike averted, Northstar will run as normal!

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » September 16th, 2022, 2:59 pm

A strike/lockout may not be averted yet, there hasn't been a vote on any deal yet.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 12th, 2023, 1:38 pm

Dan W.PNG
Reached out to Rep Dan Wolgamott of St Cloud this morning, he is currently crafting legislation to extend the Northstar to St. Cloud!

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » January 12th, 2023, 2:15 pm

I'm so excited to see this happen! Will they have to do a new study or will the 2020 study be what they use to determine service?

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 12th, 2023, 2:50 pm

I'm so excited to see this happen! Will they have to do a new study or will the 2020 study be what they use to determine service?
I didn't ask that, I guess we will see when the legislation is posted.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » January 12th, 2023, 4:07 pm

Well if they do another study hopefully it won't be a dust collector like the one from 2020, and they're more ambitious with service proposals. Doesn't have to be LRT frequency, but it should be regional rail frequency.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » January 12th, 2023, 4:56 pm

Well if they do another study hopefully it won't be a dust collector like the one from 2020, and they're more ambitious with service proposals. Doesn't have to be LRT frequency, but it should be regional rail frequency.
Regional rail frequency should be implemented between Anoka and Downtown Minneapolis with an infill at Central and Broadway maybe to Ramsey. But considering we would have to build a third track to get midday service Elk River and beyond justify it as they are and will be primarily park and ride services with no plans to start regular bus service.

Regional rail should have regular service for sure between Anoka and Lakeville interlining on the Dan Patch. Even 30 minute peak frequency and hourly offpeak would be huge!

Although I would be happy with the bidirectional alternative proposed in the 2020 study as a mid term solution while we building political will (through the successful implementation of the Dan Patch Line) to the idea of increased frequency.

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » January 16th, 2023, 11:41 pm

I'd love to see this happen but getting BNSF on board might be an issue since 1. it's a very busy mainline and they own it and 2. BNSF would be running the trains

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » January 17th, 2023, 9:15 am

I'd love to see this happen but getting BNSF on board might be an issue since 1. it's a very busy mainline and they own it and 2. BNSF would be running the trains
It would require triple tracking for the length of where we want to run regional rail type service, hence why I only want it to go to Anoka and maybe Ramsey, but not the entire length of the route as the capital costs of triple tracking all the way to Big Lake or St Cloud is a ton of cost with a lot less benefit.

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » January 17th, 2023, 11:31 pm

I can see triple tracking to Coon Rapids but not from there to St Cloud, Besides, the entire line has been rebuilt with double track or CTC or both over the last several years thanks to Northstar and the oil boom, not to mention the NIMBY factor.will be an issue if they do it.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » January 18th, 2023, 10:25 am

BNSF said they need one track for dedicated freight service, they use one track for passenger service and then do maintenance on the passenger track during the midday so likely it would require three tracks for midday frequent service. 100% agreed it shouldn't be triple tracked to St Cloud. But Anoka or Ramsey is reasonable especially if we could get 30 minute peak service out of it just to Anoka or Ramsey, which is definitely achievable.