Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
jennifat
City Center

Re: Target Field Station

Postby jennifat » May 12th, 2014, 10:52 am

I would like to some stores like that japanese one built under the i94 viaducts!
That's actually an excellent idea — I think this is a vastly superior solution to filling up the dead space created by the 3rd/4th St. Viaducts than a dungeonesque "underpass park". If we can't get rid of the viaducts, let's at least make them as urban as possible and create a legitimate streetscape at the same time (like what can be found along certain portions of New York's High Line). It would work really well with the unique nature of the neighborhood and could even make a really cool, quirky shopping/dining district along 4th!

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » May 12th, 2014, 10:54 am

I didn't realize this was opening so much earlier than the rest of the line. This is awesome!
Also I'm wondering about this line at the end of the article
Eventually transportation planners hope to connect five different light rail lines at the station.
I'm thinking this is meant to say "connect five different lines" as the five I can think of are Hiawatha, Central, Southwest, Bouttineau, and Northstar. In the case I am wrong, are there any other LRT lines in the works for the area that I am unaware of?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 12th, 2014, 10:57 am

Also I'm wondering about this line at the end of the article
Eventually transportation planners hope to connect five different light rail lines at the station.
I'm thinking this is meant to say "connect five different lines" as the five I can think of are Hiawatha, Central, Southwest, Bouttineau, and Northstar. In the case I am wrong, are there any other LRT lines in the works for the area that I am unaware of?
Sloppy reporting. There are only two light-rail lines (Green and Blue). Everything else will be passenger (diesel) rail. I'm convinced that it's reporting like this that leads people to misunderstand how these segments interline.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 12th, 2014, 11:08 am

It is sloppy reporting. As far as I'm aware, the five lines they hope to eventually connect at Target Field are Blue, Green, Northstar, NLX (Duluth) and ZipRail (Rochester). As David says, the last three are diesel passenger lines, not LRT.

Additionally, the Phase 1 Mankato service and Phase 2 Willmar/Marshall/Sioux Falls and Albert Lea/Iowa services identified in MnDOT's 2030 plan are shown connecting to Minneapolis, and would presumably connect to Target Field Station, if they were to happen.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 12th, 2014, 11:16 am

The "5 lines" almost certainly references the ones NickP mentioned above. Blue (Hiawatha/Bottineau) and Green (Central/SW) and Northstar. Those are also the only lines that will be serving this station by say, 2020 (In reality Bottineau is probably 2021-22, best case)

Look folks, to the general public, Central and Southwest are still different things. Considering it's only 2014, and Central hasn't even begun service, I don't think that's exactly a crime against humanity. Could the reporter have been more clear instead of copy-pasting the same sentence that shows up in every news release about TFS/The Interchange? Sure, but they're not technically wrong either. What we nerds know inherently are two through-routed lines really are four separate projects, built years apart (decades even). I have heard (uninformed, possibly anti-LRT) people say out loud that Southwest LRT will end at Target Field, so some clarification couldn't hurt. And yeah, Northstar isn't LRT so shame on the reporter for that.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 12th, 2014, 11:46 am

I have heard (uninformed, possibly anti-LRT) people say out loud that Southwest LRT will end at Target Field, so some clarification couldn't hurt.
I have heard that several times from the anti-Kenilworth people, especially with the "this doesn't benefit Minneapolis" meme. I believe most of it is sincere misunderstanding. But that misunderstanding exists due to deliberate misinformation being given by some of the area's official representatives. This is exactly why accurate reporting is essential. It's not a crime for people to consider the segments separate lines but it is absolutely a disservice for the media to present them that way. It clouds the discussion.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 12th, 2014, 11:51 am

It's a statment meant to say "look at all the rail service planned here!" and it does that well. The factually correct way is basically a paragraph or two explaining that the projects interline etc etc, and quite frankly nobody's going to want to read about that in an article about Target Field Station.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » May 12th, 2014, 12:06 pm

It's a statment meant to say "look at all the rail service planned here!" and it does that well. The factually correct way is basically a paragraph or two explaining that the projects interline etc etc, and quite frankly nobody's going to want to read about that in an article about Target Field Station.
Winner winner, chicken dinner. It's a PR piece, and describing the four LRT projects as separate lines helps the PR. Also bear in mind that technically New Starts funding is for just that - New starts - and so for federal funding purposes they are separate, new lines. They will in fact be interlined operationally, but from a funding perspective they're four distinct lines because if they weren't they wouldn't be able to compete for federal funding. Of course, that's a bureaucrat's distinction without difference, but hey, that's how Washington rolls so our local media aren't doing anything worse.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » May 13th, 2014, 3:58 am

Speaking of PR, nothing should help more than the size of the massive target field station sign installed yesterday, something *ahem* truly fitting for Minneapolis' very own grand central station.

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » May 13th, 2014, 6:43 am

Pics, or it didn't happen!

mulad

Postby mulad » May 13th, 2014, 6:46 am

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » May 13th, 2014, 8:25 am

Geeze, that is big. I thought the small sign over the LED screen was the extent of it.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 13th, 2014, 9:24 am

Grabbed a picture of the sign yesterday evening from 5th & Washington. I actually think it looks pretty cool- people will definitely be able to find the station.

Does anyone know if it will be illuminated at night?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 13th, 2014, 9:39 am

pikes place market much?

sometimes obvious way finding is awesome and creates place.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 13th, 2014, 10:10 am

*shrug* I really like the sign. But I also really like the entire station they've built. To me, the "MPLS's Grand Central" hyperbole on one side is just as annoying as the constant dumping and snarking on it from the other side. I think it's going to kick ass. Not as much ass as it could have kicked, but plenty of ass-kicking nonetheless.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 13th, 2014, 10:26 am

*shrug* I really like the sign. But I also really like the entire station they've built. To me, the "MPLS's Grand Central" hyperbole on one side is just as annoying as the constant dumping and snarking on it from the other side. I think it's going to kick ass. Not as much ass as it could have kicked, but plenty of ass-kicking nonetheless.
This is exactly how I feel about it. Some of the snarking for snark's sake is getting old.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » May 13th, 2014, 10:26 am

We can be negative about, or look at the bright side. I actually dig that. Looks great from a distance. Glad it's just letters. Anything that calls big attention to transit is good IMO.

You can see that sucker from Washington Ave and I think that's cool. Helps to flesh out the neighborhood a bit more. I will be taking light rail to work, so this helps me feel like I'm not walking down 5th ave into the industrial abyss.

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » May 13th, 2014, 10:31 am

This is exactly how I feel about it. Some of the snarking for snark's sake is getting old.
Previous context aside,it's not lame if you call it what it is: a bad ass light rail station. Grab a coffee, run up the stairs, and hop on a really clean train. Want more? Demand more, you have that right, and I'll join you.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 13th, 2014, 10:40 am

Twins prez just posted some context on the inspiration for the sign, for what it's worth.

i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 13th, 2014, 10:49 am

Does anyone know if it will be illuminated at night?
It would be remiss if the design didn't have it lighted. Speaking of design, the photo isn't clear but it looks like it is identical to the Target corporate logo font.

Would we go for corporate sponsorship of other stations? Say, the Wells Fargo Station, United Health Station or the Cargill Station (on Blake Road) with big, well lit signs in the corporate font? Using a corporate font implies corporate funding through sponsorship, how much does a business pay for branding a station? It's not just a question of naming the place, but stamping it with the logo (identity).