[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: Uptown Retail News

Postby twincitizen » August 12th, 2013, 8:42 am

Sure, why not? As long as the parking costs money and Target doesn't validate, I think it'd be fine. Lots of people from the neighborhood would walk/bike to a CityTarget. I don't precisely know what a CityTarget is, but I'm guessing they don't sell furniture or as many large items that the regular big box store does. I imagine it would be much more focused on daily essentials that would be more compatible with a walk/bike/bus trip. Plus Mozaic is right there too if Calhoun Square's ramp is too full or too expensive for folks.

John
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown Retail News

Postby John » August 12th, 2013, 9:09 am

Here's a good article describing CityTarget: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/1 ... 84484.html

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Uptown Restaurant News

Postby lordmoke » August 14th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Details on the new Crave concept for the Old Chicago space:
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... ncept.html

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 14th, 2013, 1:52 pm

How did UrbanMSP miss out on the "name the restaurant" promotion for this one?

It's going to be a "southern themed" restaurant called "Boneyard". Blech.

I hope it fails so the site can be properly redeveloped. I'm sorry, but the property immediately adjacent to Uptown Transit Station and Mozaic should not be a suburban-style restaurant building with 50+ surface parking spaces. It's just wrong.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 14th, 2013, 1:55 pm

I saw it, and participated... didn't feel like it deserved to be posted ;)

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » August 14th, 2013, 5:22 pm

the property immediately adjacent to Uptown Transit Station and Mozaic should not be a suburban-style restaurant building with 50+ surface parking spaces. It's just wrong.
QFT

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 14th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Come on. Nobody knows what QFT means. Too many obscure acronyms here lately.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 14th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Yet everyone has Google (and by extension, Urban Dictionary)

QFT = Quoted For Truth. It's pretty common web-speak.

I will agree with you that many on here, myself included, tend to speak planner-ese and transit-ese without consideration for those that might not be down with the FTA's CEI and have never served on a CAC. ;)

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 19th, 2013, 10:58 am

I call BS. With acronyms it's sink or swim, and if we don't use them here they'll never learn them. Don't be embarrassed to ask - we'll make fun of you, enlighten you, and move on.
"Who rescued whom!"

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » August 19th, 2013, 3:56 pm

PMFJI, but AISI an AFZ is NFG because RL w/r/t the net is all about shorthand. IMJS. ;)

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 20th, 2013, 11:50 am

Hammer & Sickle coming to former Kinsen Noodles space on Lagoon: http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/bi ... -to-lagoon

Mesa Pizza can finally stay open til 3am on Friday and Saturday nights: http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/bi ... uncil-says

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 20th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Mesa Pizza can finally stay open til 3am on Friday and Saturday nights: http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/bi ... uncil-says
Ok, a bit off topic, but what's with all the love for Mesa Pizza? I find it below average myself, especially in comparison to Andrea Pizza in St. Paul. It's even below SOHO, which is pretty low. Just curious whether I should give it another shot.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 20th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Ok, a bit off topic, but what's with all the love for Mesa Pizza? I find it below average myself, especially in comparison to Andrea Pizza in St. Paul. It's even below SOHO, which is pretty low. Just curious whether I should give it another shot.
Was not impressed with it. THey have a captive audience of after bar close people, who feel they should eat something before they get behind the wheel and drive home. Much better pizza places out there that is for sure.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 20th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Do other places have all the weird combinations of pizza that Mesa does?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 20th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Do other places have all the weird combinations of pizza that Mesa does?
Andrea has some different stuff but nothing over the top.

A good NY slice should be simple anyway.

NYPD in Ann Arbor is great. They have the unusual stuff like Mesa and it's done much, much better.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 20th, 2013, 2:02 pm

I like Mesa because of the weird combinations, I don't really care what pizza "should" be.

I'll admit that their method of serving pizza by the slice with the oven reheating leave's something to be desired. But I've gotten whole pies from them before and they're greasy and amazing. And cheap.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 20th, 2013, 2:11 pm

I'll admit that their method of serving pizza by the slice with the oven reheating leave's something to be desired. But I've gotten whole pies from them before and they're greasy and amazing. And cheap.
I don't know if it's the reheating, but to me the dough is very bland as is the sauce. But it's been several months since I've been in there. Never tried a whole pie.

Andrea reheats slices if you go later in the day and while they're not as good as the fresh stuff, they 're still pretty good.

If you ever get over to Ann Arbor for some random reason, do try NYPD. It's my (current) benchmark of "weird" NY slices. Nothing in the cities has come close yet.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 20th, 2013, 2:15 pm

I walked by SoHo Cafe on Hennepin for the first time last weekend. I had no idea what that place was all about. I would have never guessed they served pizza by the slice. Or that they stay open til 3am on Friday & Saturday.

I feel like Minneapolis is lacking in "by the slice" culture in general. The one closest to me, Uptown Pizza, is the worst. A Slice of New York, at 24th & Nicollet, has the NY atmosphere/decor thing going on, but the food leaves a lot to be desired. What other by-the-slice places are out there?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 20th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Ugh, now I want Mesa Pizza (Dinkytown) but I waited too long for lunch.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 20th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Hammer & Sickle coming to former Kinsen Noodles space on Lagoon: http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/bi ... -to-lagoon
Also gotta say that I'm so excited for this. I love vodka, Eastern European food, and communism themed restaurants.