[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
gpete
Union Depot

Re: Uptown Restaurant News

Postby gpete » February 24th, 2015, 1:54 pm

Don't forget the previous tenants, PrimeBar, had to pay TONS of money to Calhoun Square (over $5 million). That huge settlement was more than the value of the rent that was due over the 10 year lease that they signed. PrimeBar is basically still paying the rent for that space, which I imagine made it less urgent to lease.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -case.html

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » February 24th, 2015, 3:22 pm

I brought up the Country Bar yesterday as empty. Today driving by I notice the For Lease sign is down and windows are covered (not sure how long that's been the case).

Is there something known in the works there?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 24th, 2015, 3:42 pm

Maybe they're just de-greasing the place.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

buzz
City Center

Postby buzz » February 25th, 2015, 6:49 pm

Tinto Cocina + Cantina has opened at Lake & Bryant. I'll probably check it out this weekend.
http://tintompls.com/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 1st, 2015, 11:24 pm

Troubadour Wine Bar is replacing the Solomon's bakery spot:

http://www.minnyapple.com/2015/02/24/tr ... ng-uptown/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 1st, 2015, 11:33 pm

There is a rumor that Urban Bean will be taking over that space http://mspmag.com/Blogs/Foodie-File/Dec ... d-Expands/

It's mentioned in the very last paragraph of that article.
This is correct according to Uptown news:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/256862790/Mar ... rhood-News

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 2nd, 2015, 8:38 am

Wasn't there supposed to be a speak easy opening in the Calhoun Office Building at LynLake? Has anyone heard more about that? I'm also a bit sad none of the bakeries in uptown seem to be able to make it besides the ones in the grocery stores.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 4th, 2015, 8:42 am

Some work going on inside of Falafel King space this morning along with a sign on the door (some sort of permit maybe)? I was waiting for the bus on the opposite side of the street so I really couldn't make out exactly what was going on. I wonder if they have a tenant lined up and are clearing way for them? The for lease sign is still on the top of the building.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 4th, 2015, 8:52 am

A few months ago (perhaps December) I saw people hauling sheets of drywall into the Falafel King space. I asked the construction workers what they were doing and the response was something along the lines of "A restaurant, we hope." As I looked in the space more recently, it didn't appear that anything besides interior demolition had been taking place. It's still clear as mud whether they are building for a specific restaurant or simply cleaning the place up and doing necessary repairs to attract a tenant. Either way, it appears the space will again be a restaurant. Hopefully something sorta-quick/to-go and moderately-priced, as opposed to another sit-down place.

Thinking locally, something like Afro Deli or a brick & mortar upgrade for a popular food truck, etc. Thinking chain-wise, I'd be totally fine with a 2nd Chipotle in the hood.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » March 4th, 2015, 8:57 am

Big Marv, of Megawave Coin Laundry fame, pulled the building permit: http://www.bigmarv.com/4436.html

Let's keep our expectations low for now.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 4th, 2015, 9:00 am

3rd Chipotle really, I mean the other two are about equidistant from this place. I would love to see another D'amico & Sons a la the Hennepin Ave location, something where you COULD get it to go or sit down. We're also lacking a good diner in the LynLake neighborhood, I'd love to see that too.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 4th, 2015, 9:05 am

Big Marv, of Megawave Coin Laundry fame, pulled the building permit: http://www.bigmarv.com/4436.html

Let's keep our expectations low for now.
You put a scare into me, but I'm not sure why you intentionally singled out "laundromats" out of

"specializing in commercial kitchens, restaurants, bars, and laundromats"

This seems highly likely to remain a restaurant/bar, not a laundromat.
3rd Chipotle really, I mean the other two are about equidistant from this place.
I had to think really, really hard about where there was another Chipotle besides 2600 Hennepin. Most of the time, I forget that West Calhoun even exists! The lake is both a physical and mental barrier for me to ever consider West Calhoun part of greater "Uptown". There's actually a bunch of good quick food options out there that are missing from Uptown proper (MyBurger, Noodles, Punch Pizza, etc.) Say what you will about chains, but I'd rather have more moderately-priced quick-food options than fewer. Especially Punch. Uptown/LynLake needs a Punch or Punch-clone.

Looking ahead 5+ years or so to a redeveloped Lake-Nicollet with streetcar, Orange Line, etc., I could see a bunch of the aformentioned chains taking up commercial space in mixed-use development there. Maybe it's a good thing that they don't find homes in Lynlake, for proper spacing.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » March 4th, 2015, 9:07 am

Didn't mean to scare ya, just used that as a reference for the general quality of work and types of clients that the guy deals with. I hope I'm wrong, but based on that website, I don't expect to see a fast casual chain, food truck, or an acclaimed local restaurateur open in this space any time soon.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » March 14th, 2015, 3:33 pm

So what's happening at the NE corner of Lagoon & Hennepin again? I know we've discussed it before and that it's supposed to be a Cowboy Jack's, but why are they demolishing the building down to one story here?

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 16th, 2015, 7:29 am

Work happening inside Toppers Pizza this morning, looked like they were clearing the place out to me. All of the window signage was gone and it looked pretty blank inside. Are they revamping their storefront or moving out completely? *queue old man voice* The delivery drivers there speed down the alley and don't pay any attention to who's coming out of Lime's parking garage, so if they are leaving... I say good riddance!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 16th, 2015, 8:57 am

They've been expanding locally, with locations in Diamond Lake, Stadium Village, and now in the 1st-ring burbs too. LynLake was their first MN location, and I'm guessing it's all one franchisee. Perhaps they're moving to a different location within LynLake/Uptown? I doubt they'd walk away from their original delivery market in the Twin Cities. I love me some Toppers.

buzz
City Center

Postby buzz » March 16th, 2015, 4:32 pm

I had brunch at Tinto Cocina + Cantina yesterday. Food was authentic and quite good. The service was decent, though it will take a while before they've got it down pat. The owner, Rebecca, made sure we were welcomed and gave us extra homemade corn tortillas (soft & warm!) They will be putting in a "to go" window in the back where customers can walk/drive up for tacos etc. A nice, friendly experience.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 16th, 2015, 10:07 pm

Uptown/LynLake needs a Punch or Punch-clone.
Didn't Pizza Nea used to have a spot in the same building as Tum Rup?

I'd rather see a Qdoba than another Chipotle.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 17th, 2015, 7:26 am

Update on Toppers... "Our lobby is getting a much-needed new face! This location will be closed on Monday, March 16th and Tuesday, March 17th. We open at 5 PM on Wednesday, March 18th for deliveries only! No pickup or carry-out orders during 3-week construction. We apologize for any inconvenience this project may cause."

That was posted on their door.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 23rd, 2015, 11:22 am

From the looks of things at Cowboy Slims. The building will now be one story except for what I suspect is a wait staff area on the east end of the build. The kitchen looks to be at the east of the building below the wait area. There is a stair case in the NW corner of the building for probably both getting up to and as an emergency exit.