Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mplsmatt
Block E

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby mplsmatt » May 22nd, 2018, 11:50 am

I am a not-infrequent visitor to the bar side of Heyday, but it looks like some version of that will be preserved.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » May 23rd, 2018, 10:26 pm

Quite surprised it's been open this long/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 23rd, 2018, 10:35 pm

I've always heard really high praise for Heyday but location-wise it felt more like a neighborhood restaurant than somewhere exciting to go have an expensive meal. So a few times I considered it while looking for a nice dinner, but instead always ended up somewhere more "happening" like the North Loop.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » May 24th, 2018, 8:02 am

Yeah, I actually really hate that our pedestrian overlay districts ban fast food. It just comes off as the worst sort of progressive "we know what's best for you." It's not like fast food needs a drive-thru (which is a legitimate thing to ban). I assume it also will prevent more than a few fast food places in emerging, walkable nodes from redeveloping.
I've always understood the restriction as being a way to keep fast food restaurants from knocking down buildings in older, pedestrian-oriented communities. That was happening a certain amount in the 1990s.

MattW
Union Depot

Postby MattW » May 24th, 2018, 9:29 am

thatchio wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 8:02 am
Yeah, I actually really hate that our pedestrian overlay districts ban fast food. It just comes off as the worst sort of progressive "we know what's best for you." It's not like fast food needs a drive-thru (which is a legitimate thing to ban). I assume it also will prevent more than a few fast food places in emerging, walkable nodes from redeveloping.
I've always understood the restriction as being a way to keep fast food restaurants from knocking down buildings in older, pedestrian-oriented communities. That was happening a certain amount in the 1990s.
Yeah, wonder if they can add a stipulation just saying these rules apply for new build, standalone fast food restaurants. I have no problem is a fast food place wants to be incorporated into a mixed use development. Maybe this is why a place like Naf Naf opened in Stadium Village vs Uptown.

scottiem
City Center

Postby scottiem » May 25th, 2018, 9:06 am

I find the news about Heyday disappointing, but understand how they felt the need for a refresh--it was always empty in there despite the level of food and service we receieved. For my partner and me, it's always been one of our neighborhood favorites and we even rented out the space for our wedding reception. I'm glad Jim Christiansen will be using that same spot for the new concepts, I can't wait to see what the team comes up with next.

mplsmatt
Block E

Postby mplsmatt » June 25th, 2018, 3:42 pm

I was able to stop by Tenka Ramen on Lake Street (formerly Marina) for lunch the other day. The space is nice and my soup was tasty. I was the only one in the restaurant, but I don't think anyone gets a big weekday lunch crowd in that area. I'd definitely say it's worth checking out if you're in the neighborhood or maybe as a pre/post movie stop.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » July 26th, 2018, 9:34 pm

NOT UPTOWN---

Apparently Rudolph's finally closed.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MattW
Union Depot

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby MattW » October 1st, 2018, 8:43 pm

KML_1981 wrote:
April 13th, 2018, 12:30 pm
This is awesome news! Korean fried chicken and other deliciousness. Also opening in Dinkytown!

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... lling.html
Bonchon was open when I drove by on Sunday. Any early reports?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 2nd, 2018, 8:40 am

scottiem wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 9:06 am
I find the news about Heyday disappointing, but understand how they felt the need for a refresh--it was always empty in there despite the level of food and service we receieved. For my partner and me, it's always been one of our neighborhood favorites and we even rented out the space for our wedding reception. I'm glad Jim Christiansen will be using that same spot for the new concepts, I can't wait to see what the team comes up with next.
Sad news!

Plan to relaunch Heyday is kaput; acclaimed restaurant is gone for good

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 2nd, 2018, 11:22 am

Noticed nobody had posted this from last week: Uptown Lotus is closed. The curse continues. https://twincities.eater.com/2018/9/28/ ... own-closed

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 2nd, 2018, 11:46 am

What a spectacular string of failures that building has been over the past 5+ years, since they forced out Old Chicago. I bet Old Chicago would still be humming along, turning a small but steady profit if they had just left it alone. Or since Kaskaid was involved with the first re-do (Boneyard), they could've opened CRAVE Uptown and it probably would've done fine.

What's really strange is that it was bought by a group of developers back in 2010, specifically noting its potential for development, but saying they had no immediate plans to kick out Old Chicago: http://www.startribune.com/old-chicago- ... /94886799/ Who knows what they're waiting for, sitting out this entire development boom...

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » October 2nd, 2018, 12:00 pm

The lot is basically the same size as that of lpm... just saying.

I can't imagine any land owner doesn't see the value of redeveloping this plot. It's such an amazing location.

BigIdeasGuy
Landmark Center

Postby BigIdeasGuy » June 27th, 2019, 7:57 am

According to MSP Business Journal a law suit has been filed saying that Rudolph's building is in rough shape and it will take 6 figures to bring it up to code including roof and foundation work. Is the plot of land large enough to make the numbers work on a tear down and apartment building replacing it?

bubzki2
US Bank Plaza

Postby bubzki2 » June 27th, 2019, 10:35 am

Could they get financing/approvals if it lacked structured parking? I kind of doubt that lot's .17 acres and its rounded edge at Ridgeview is big enough for on-site parking. Tough location for anything auto-centric.

MattW
Union Depot

Postby MattW » June 27th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Sounds like an act of desperation once Mr. Anti-Semite realized his bar was DOA.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 1st, 2019, 10:18 am

My uninformed guess is that the lawsuit is just trying to extract a slightly better deal for him to get out of his lease.

MattW
Union Depot

Postby MattW » July 10th, 2019, 10:13 am

I just saw this, Scena Tavern space was taken over by the owners of The Freemont, Hammer and Sickle, etc. Opening as Enji, Asian inspired place. From the looks of it though, they'll be making their money selling booze on the weekends. Opening Friday.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... nt-in.html

mplsmatt
Block E

Postby mplsmatt » July 10th, 2019, 2:57 pm

I'm a fairly regular movie goer at the Uptown/Lagoon and am definitely down for more options for food/drink nearby. I'm not a huge fan of much nearby, but maybe this joint will be a little more laid back.

mplsmatt
Block E

Postby mplsmatt » July 12th, 2019, 7:47 am

Famous Dave's is closing their Calhoun Square location: http://citypages.com/restaurants/famous ... /512628341

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”