Rochester

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Rochester

Postby mattaudio » March 3rd, 2016, 11:38 am

They're still vaporware, which is why it's disappointing that MnDOT suspended ZipRail planning in parallel.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 7th, 2016, 10:36 pm

The University of Minnesota - Rochester is now accredited separately from the Twin Cities campus for the next 10 years. That's rather exciting for them! From what I know of it, the University there is mainly a health care based campus... which isn't that surprising, seeing as Mayo Clinic is in town. Hopefully this will help their enrollment and then building expansion!

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... f3cd1.html

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 10th, 2016, 11:31 am

Olmsted County is looking at more than $212 million in expenditures over the span of the next five years.

Transportation projects account for nearly 56 percent, or $118 million. Maintaining and preserving the already existing roadways are expected to be the majority of that spending.

Building projects come in around $47 million, or 22 percent. The major projects include the construction for county courts and offices in the second phase of their city/county government center expansion in downtown Rochester, renovations of Graham Park ice arenas, construction of an exhibition space, and improvements to restrooms within Graham Park.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... d747b.html

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 15th, 2016, 11:16 pm

Looks like the city council is leaning in favor of the library expansion. The project cost for the two floor expansion, as well as renovations of its current space, is estimated around $55.15 million.
The council was fully supportive of the library's plans and tentatively supportive of the funding breakdown; the council gave an informal consensus - without voting - to support the city taking on a $35 million share as long as library leadership could secure funding commitments from the other partners
http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 30632.html

Also, I found an interesting article on the 501 on First project. It sounds like the developer wants to change some of the building materials being used due to ease of upkeep, but the city council is upset that it's not what was originally promised...

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 59a98.html

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » March 16th, 2016, 7:31 am

So, there are two projects proposed or u/c on this lot, in addition to the Metropolitan Marketplace building? Because one building is definitely being built as we speak.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 16th, 2016, 9:55 am

So, there are two projects proposed or u/c on this lot, in addition to the Metropolitan Marketplace building? Because one building is definitely being built as we speak.
Pretty sure it's the same one, they just want to change some of the building material being used and the Council isn't for that lol.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 22nd, 2016, 11:19 am

The exterior design changes for the 501 on First project were approved.
The developer sought to change an exterior material, from limestone to a manmade rock, and to change the apartment building's glass balcony walls to aluminum picket-style railings. . .The group agreed on a new material for the exterior and to allow the change in balcony design, Bilderback reported to the council. The exterior should resemble the other building on the same block, Metropolitan Marketplace, Kramer said. "It is similar to the material at the MMP (Metropolitan Marketplace) building," he said. "It's actually the same material. It will be a different shade and a different application but it will basically look identical to the MMP building when we're completed."
http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 83307.html

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 23rd, 2016, 10:27 am

The task force for the repurposing of the Chateau has decided it will be a mixed use performing art center. This is great news by me, as long as they keep those beautiful sets and backdrops up. The Chateau is one of the most iconic places in Rochester, and will forever remain my favorite Barnes and Noble location... there's nothing else like it.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... f82f0.html

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 24th, 2016, 10:36 am

The PostBulletin reports that the Rochester metro area surpassed 213,000 people with a growth of 0.6 percent in 2015. The city of Rochester added 1,201 people in 2015.
The Rochester area added 650 residents from international migration in 2015, up slightly from 648 in 2014
The area also added quite a few jobs too, with 2,800 new jobs being created in 2015.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... 517c8.html

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » March 24th, 2016, 11:46 am

More importantly, I think, is the comments relating to disappointing population growth in view of the huge job growth. More commuters from afar as it's still not a city that most would consider living in. Problems remain and are worrisome for this town.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 25th, 2016, 8:34 am

Many of the "family people" I know in Rochester are moving or considering moving to Byron because the schools are supposedly better. I try to keep my mouth shut.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 25th, 2016, 8:48 am

Go figure. People want good schools for their offspring. The same is going to start happening here in Minneapolis in a few years.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 25th, 2016, 9:05 am

If you already live 10 minutes by car away from everything and you drive everywhere, I guess it doesn't really matter if your address is in Rochester or Byron or if you spend another 5 minutes driving for each trip. But if you want to live in an actual place, that place matters.

There are also significant undertones relating to the homogeneity desired in a "small town family atmosphere."

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 25th, 2016, 9:44 am

mrs.shoes and I have talked a lot [more] about the whole schools thing now that we have a youngster. Our alley neighbors moved to SLP for "better schools." We both have co-workers at our suburban jobs who assume we'll either move or send our son somewhere in not-MPLS for school. With one exception (and they're looking to move), all our child-rearing friends live in the 'burbs. What bothers us, though, is that all these families who claim MPLS school are "bad" are the exact people we want to stay in MPLS and push for something better. These are the families with involved parents and a high level of passion to make sure their child has the best learning experience possible. It's easy to be defeatist and assume there's no way to change the situation, but vocal parents can make a difference.

Of course, that entire story assumes a) the schools in MPLS (and Rochester, of course) are actually bad, b) parents have no direct control over their child's education. A is questionable and B is explicitly false. My wife is an elementary teacher herself, and she strongly believes that despite the large role teachers/schools play in a child's education, the vast—vast!—majority of learning happens in the home.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 25th, 2016, 10:01 am

The schools in Rochester aren't bad, and I graduated from their "ghetto" school as most there would call it.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 25th, 2016, 10:49 am

I think school choice is a tragedy of the commons, it may be a better individual choice for parents to send their child to a different school (by moving or open enrollment) but the whole system suffers when parents make those rational choices.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 25th, 2016, 11:13 am

The Rochester high schools give more opportunities than the surrounding districts do anyway, so I've never really understood what the benefit to sending them to the small schools would be.

On a side note, the Lynx and Mayo Clinic have a press conference on Monday in which they're going to announce "big news". Wonder what it'll be?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 25th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Maybe the Lynx will be playing in the Civic Center next summer while Target Center is being renovated? No idea why they would do that when Williams is presumably available, but...
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 25th, 2016, 1:31 pm

Maybe the Lynx will be playing in the Civic Center next summer while Target Center is being renovated? No idea why they would do that when Williams is presumably available, but...
Well the Lynx and Timberwolves have become good buddies with Mayo Clinic, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the announcement is. The Timberwolves would be a LONG shot to play here, but the Lynx sounds likely. Also keep in mind that the Timberwolves personally asked Rochester (and by Rochester we really mean Mayo Clinic) to put in a bid for the host city of their development team.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 27th, 2016, 9:53 pm

From what I have heard, they are actually only announcing a Lynx preseason game here. Not nearly as big of news as they are making it out to be.